Development of an Efficient microwave System for material Transformation in energy INtensive processes for an improved Yield
The I+D+i project DESTINY (ID 820783), to be developed in the period 2018-2022, has a global budget of €8 442 000 and is financed by the European Union under the call H2020-NMBP-ST-IND-2018-2020. The project consortium is composed for 14 partners from 8 different European countries. CEINNMAT is participating in the project as technology developer and pilot plant supervisor with a total cost contribution of €1 408 500,00.
The DESTINY project aspires to introduce a “first-of-a-kind” high temperature microwave processing system at industrial level (Figure 1), offering a variety of vital benefits to energy intensive sectors: reduced energy consumption, lower lifetime operating costs and enhanced sustainability profile.
Objectives focus on the improvement of efficiency ratios in the following areas:
- Flexibility of ±30% to energy input within RES (Renewable Energy Sources) fluctuations time frames without significant losses in specific energy efficiency
- Improvement in energy efficiency of 40% (depending on different industry and product applications)
- Improvement in terms of resource (fuel) efficiency exceeding the value of 40%
- Decrease in CO2 emissions by 45% (without considering the electricity generation at steady state)
- Decreased OPEX and CAPEX by 15%.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 820783